7.04.2013

Written in stone

___________________________________
    _________________________________________
I have been circling for thousands of years,
and I still don't know if I am a falcon, a storm, or a great song. -Rainer Maria Rilke
_______________________________________________________

 memoir

Spring was opening its doors and sweeping winter out
and we were embracing the warmth like two tulips emerging from the ground.
We were happy, free and our laughter echoed through the rocks
as you helped me up when I admitted that I couldn't do it on my own.
I usually am afraid of heights but that day I felt like I could fly
although I still did not trust myself to look down.
We walked through valleys and breathed in the scent of the pine trees,
and I said I wished I could bottle up
the aroma and keep it for the gray days of winter. 
We crossed a small stream after you built a
bridge with logs and we laughed hysterically at jokes you threw out into the air.
And then we started climbing the mountain 
and you were patient as the steep rocks took more energy than I
had bargained for.
I wore capris and you shook your head
at my choice of clothing and you were right because by the time we 
got home my legs were scratched until they bled.
But you know me,
I bore the scars proudly and called them my battle wounds.
I will never forget the moment as we made it up the last
boulder and the wind gave us a bear hug and I fell to my knees in terror of 
slipping off the cliff and falling to my death. 
But it was the view that took my breath away more than the wind:
360 degrees around us was completely open and we could
see for miles. Wooded areas and the highway sat in front of us;
along with our hometown far off in the distance to our left. 
Miles of prairies and the great Rocky Mountains 
looming to our right.
You pulled out your phone and took a video
going up to the edge of the cliff and my throat caught.
 I hastily grabbed hold of your leg just in case the wind caught you.
You laughed, but I did not care,
because I wasn't about to see you fall or trip because that cliff with its 
jaggedly open mouth terrified me. 
You finally sat down and we just stayed
 there for several moments enjoying the view.
It was on the way back that I nearly walked into
a moose and that is a story I will definitely tell my grandchildren.
I still remember looking up at it and just seeing this black shape.
I started saying...
"Nice horse-" and then I realized what it was.
You started talking to it and reassuring it that we were not
going to harm it as we slowly retreated backwards.
And then we laughed. A bit shakily, but we laughed.
On the ride home we listened to Coldplay and different
artists and you showed me some of your favorite songs.
I was tired, and I know you were too, but we had
the time of our lives.
And I'll never forget it.
Just like I won't forget the time we went to
Spooners to get some frozen yogurt and I commented
about how the girl at the checkout was really pretty.
You shook your head and said casually..
"Nah... if she is pretty than you are a super model."
My heart dropped into my stomach at that;
Not only because you said I was pretty, but
because it showed me that you believed in me. 
That you had my back and that you cared.
And I realized that our names were written in stone.
That I could face anything as long as we were together:
as long as I had my family and as long as I kept
trusting in His loving care.

so this is to remember. 
To remember you and all of the times we had and will have together.
I don't take it back and I never will.
You are the best brother in the world.

~Amy Jane


Happy 4th everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Totally love this. People who think siblings are there to fight with do not know what they are missing out on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, this is the sweetest thing ever. AND YOU ALMOST WALKED INTO A MOOSE!?!?! oh.my.stars. I laughed till tears came... only you, Amy, only you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay, I admit that I laughed so hard at this. You're right, I'm the only one who would nearly walk right into a moose. *face palm* <3

      Delete
  3. Hiyaa, this post is great! I am about to follow you, maybe you could head over to my blog and follow me too?
    PS- love the design of your blog
    www.potential-perfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written,and so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there, friends! I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to read my words, and especially for sharing your thoughts with me. It always makes my day. You guys are the best, just sayin'. :)